The eHorizon has numerous possible applications to improve the gear shifting strategy as well as the electrical energy and engine management. Based upon eHorizon's digital map data, the information of the road ahead and its topography can be put to use in the engine management. That way it is possible to reduce fuel consumption in various driving situations. The gear shifting strategy can also be optimized using eHorizon data: the automatic transmission then recognizes a curve or incline directly ahead and, accordingly, waits to shift into a higher gear.Through the supportive character of the eHorizon, the driver can at any time decide whether he uses the recommendations of the assistance system to reduce fuel costs, to drive safer and to arrive more relaxed at his destination.
- engine management: engine and gear are informed about future requirements. Dynamic / economical control of the combustion engine, depending on the route up ahead
- shifting strategy management: delays changing into a higher gear when curve / slope is ahead. This will save unnecessary operations.
The eHorizon concept made by Continental is modular in design. In a basic version, a control unit is integrated in the vehicle that precisely calculates the respective vehicle position with the help of GPS, gyroscope and wheel speed information. As an alternative, a full scale navigation system may provide the eHorizon data. As an advanced solution Continental offers the Multi Media Platform (MMP) with built-in navigation system.
The map data is continuously transmitted in a standardized data format to the other control devices via the Controller Area Network-Bus (CAN-Bus). The individual control units then recreate the virtual road image with the help of an integrated program, referred to as the "Reconstructor". Each new data package ensures that the oldest data package is then deleted from the control unit's memory. This effective memory management reduces the system requirements when implementing new functions.If Continental's Multi Media Platform (MMP) with integrated navigation system is installed in the vehicle, the MMP then prepares the data and provides it via the CAN bus.
- comparison of the driving situation with the topographical data of the driving route
- display of the driving situation in the instrument cluster or the secondary display
- curve assistant: Warning display with raised speed when curve ahead
- suspension control: adjusting the suspension of the truck and trailer when curve ahead
- adaptive Cruise Control with eHorizon: delay of the acceleration process depending on the driving situation, for example when turning onto the delay strip