Continental Tyres historic ties to football span right across the game, from sponsorship of the UEFA Euro™ Championships, the FIFA World Cup™, European club football, through to grass roots and community programmes.
In 2011, Continental strengthened their commitment to the national game, by becoming a partner in the first season of The FA Women’s Super League. The FA WSL currently consists of eight national club teams competing in a semi-professional summer league with home and away fixtures between April and September. At the end of the season The FA WSL Continental Cup final takes place.
In 2014, The FA will launch a second division of The FA WSL. The expanded league will consist of up to 20 clubs in FAWSL1 and FAWSL2. The new set up will allow for promotion and relegation between the leagues, which will improve the leagues status and increase professionalism.
Continental are now in their third season of sponsorship of The FA WSL and have recently made a further four year commitment from 2014-2018 to partner the women’s game, which extends to The England Women’s Team, The FA Women’s Cup, as well as the newly extended FA WSL and The FA WSL Continental Cup. In addition, Continental will continue to support The FA Girls Football Festivals; a national programme to increase participation at grassroots level.
Continental will form a small group of sponsors who will enjoy access to all levels of the game from high profile awareness via perimeter boards and elite players, through to exclusive activity at grass roots level in communities.
The Football Association’s and Women’s Football
The nation’s No 1 female team participation sport, Women’s and Girls’ football currently has 1.38 million regular participants up and down the country. The continued growth of the women’s game has been highlighted as a priority for The FA which has set clear objectives for the development of the sport:
- Grow and retain participation in the game at every level including significant investment in a skilled voluntary and paid workforce at national, regional and community levels
- Deliver the highest quality coaching ensuring as many players as possible at every level enjoy a high quality football experience
- Provide significant investment in infrastructure and improve facilities for women’s and girls’ football
- From community grass roots to elite international establish clear player pathways and crucially create aspirational levels of the game
- Raise profile of elite role models within their communities through significant player appearance programme
Continental Tyres and Women’s Football - The Perfect Partnership
Women’s football is the largest growth area of the national game allowing Continental to reach a broad and growing demographic, with participation levels increasing all the time.
You can follow the FA Women's Super League at www.fawsl.com